Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

25 July 2009

My wrap-up with PAHO

Bacon Flu, I HATE YOU! That is right. This exactly how we, at PAHO, felt when the Swine Flu first broke out. Meetings around the clock (literally...when you are coordinating between Atlanta, DC, Geneva and Mexico...had to be on multiple times) and work 7-days-a-week! However, because of this beautiful H1N1 Flu outbreak, I had a job following my internship with the Pan American Health Organization. Never thought I would have an official contract with the U.N.! It's kinda one of those dreams that sits in the back of your mind and doesn't seem like reality, even when it is. I worked with such a incredible team of people during my internship and while I was on a short-term contract.
I just wanted to post a few pictures of our team during that time...we were all under incredible amounts of stress, little sleep, and long hours, but still functioned amazingly and had a great time along the way! I am no longer with the team, since I was only on a short-term contract, however, I am sure they are working just as hard...just missing me! :)

Pretty sweet view from my old office window...view of all the planes flying in plus the Pentagon!



This was at a bday party we had during lunch for a few of the team members


Second day into the outbreak...we got a visit from the one and only...Dr Margaret Chan, Director General of the W.H.O!! I feel very lucky to have gotten to meet such a neat, sassy woman and work with her for the day!



LONG, hot weekends...love the picture of my boss (kinda portrays all the insanity that was going on!)



More and more meetings, including informing the rest of PAHO of the work going on in the EOC (Emergency Operation Center)


Awkward posed photo for the PAHO website :)


My last day, my crew threw me a goodbye party...a surprise goodbye party. They are so fantastic!


And of course...one last weekend with some of the PAHO crew Salsa dancing at Citron!



After all the goodbyes at the office were all said and done...we had the informal, fun party! Working with a bunch of foreigners, means good food and great parties! My favorite Spaniard that I worked with threw me a goodbye party, aka 'Tapas Night", inviting everyone from work and all the Spanish people he knew in DC! It was a good time till everyone from work left and I was left listening to Spanish being spoken a million miles an hour...which i tried really hard, but failed to keep up with on the conversation! Nonetheless, I had a fantastic time!




1 comment:

Mary said...

What an amazing experience. What are you going to do next? (I hope it involves either Disneyland or Utah!) Love ya, babe!