Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

14 January 2010

I am so deeply saddened by the powerful earthquake that struck Haiti yesterday evening. It seriously makes me ill!! More to come, but too tired to write much right now. Haiti is the poorest and most marginalized country in the Western Hemisphere. They have SO many issues already. I really wish they could just get on top of there game. Unfortunately, they are plagued with not only extreme poverty, but terrible disease and health issues, a corrupt government, no infrastructure what so ever, and the list could go on - one issued leading into another, until it becomes full circle, and the cycle seems impossible to break! It's emotionally draining for me to think about - but it's all I can think about. These people that have suffered in ways that I can't even fathom, just to be struck again, in the worst way imaginable. Incredibly heart breaking!

I have a chance to head to Haiti at the end of March, however, now the organization is still trying to assess the situation and whether or not the mission will change and still head down there. It would be really interesting though and SO great to help, guess we'll see what the next few weeks bring!

PLEASE donate a dollar or two...anything you can! I linked in with my favorite organization and donated to them, but even if you can afford a small amt, you can text "YELE" to 501501 and they will charge you an extra $5 on your phone bill, which will go to the earthquake efforts. These people and this country need the help!
I hope that in the long run, Haiti may pull out of this. And here's to dreaming, maybe even be a better, more stable and powerful country than they were previously!

No comments: