Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

03 July 2010

Wrong Name


I had a friend that had this video posted to her blog a couple weeks ago and couldn't stop laughing with what came to mind the time of watching this. Yes, old song; no, doesn't entirely pertain to what I was thinking about, but slightly!
When I was in DC working, my boss could rarely remember my name. At first I thought it was cause I was new and my name isn't always the easiest name to remember. Then I thought he was maybe having the same problem that many others seem to have; mixing together my first and last name and coming up with Stacey. Well, one month became two, two became three, three became four and so on, and on more than a few occasions, I would get called the wrong name. By the time the H1N1 hit full force and I was hired on, with a short-term contract, he still was occasionally getting it wrong and it cracked me and my coworkers up!
It started with Stacey; like I said before, close to Staley, I get it. Then it turned into Stephanie occasionally. That was fine, too. I have an old roommate and dear friend that I worked with at the hospital that none of our coworkers could tell us apart, for some reason. We were given the name "bobbsey twins", as we were the two blondes that lived together, always hung out together, were studying the same thing, and apparently looked SO much alike! Okay, so anytime my boss called me Stephanie, I got it because I was used to that from working at the hospital and getting it there quite frequently.
Being called the wrong name by my boss wasn't even that comical to me. My whole life people have fought to pronounce my name correctly, get the right version of spelling, or remember the right name without mixing it with my last name and coming up with some absurd name. My boss calling me by the wrong name frequently was just semi-normal to me. It was okay, I knew who he meant. However, when it became more frequent and I worked there longer, my two coworkers found it especially entertaining. They would tell me not to answer until he got it right, which actually was a pretty good idea! I would sit there as my boss, from the other room, would say, "Stephanie (pause)...Stephanie (pause)....Stephanie?....uh, Sherrie? Can you do something for me?" It would make my day as the three of us would sit there, trying not to laugh out loud, as my poor boss would search his memory bank for the name he was really trying to get out. He did pretty good most of the time. I think it was when he was stressed out that I became Stacey, or Stephanie, or Shelley.
The best incident came during our first big H1N1 meeting. Since the initial outbreak was in Mexico, which was part of our area at PAHO, we were one of the key players, especially being in the Emergency Operation Center. We had all been working long hours and convened at the end of that first Sunday, with the task force team. As my boss discussed one of our big assignments, he asked that all the information come to me. Unfortunately, he lapsed under the pressure and my name came out as Shirley. I think. I glanced over at my coworker and took a very deep breath in attempt to hold back my laughter. After our meeting commenced, one of the managers grabbed me in the hall and said, "I thought your name was Sherrie, is it not?" My coworkers and I burst into giggles as I explained to him the wrong name thing and that my name really IS Sherrie. As he left, he laughingly said, "See ya tomorrow, Cindy." It became quite the joke among the few of us that noticed!
By far too good of a memory to forget...still makes me laugh!

2 comments:

Mary said...

That's hilarious! You're the best, Shelly.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.