Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

08 November 2008

New York, New York!!!



I finally did it! I took my first trip to the Big Apple!! I can't believe with all the traveling I've done that I hadn't ever really been...I mean, you can't really count the 20 hour layovers where you go out in the city and see one thing, eat and then head back to the airport. This was a real trip...a whole week in NYC!


Scarlett has been to NY a number of times, but was so nice to go do all the touristy things again with me...she was a great tour guide actually! We walked around everywhere and saw majority of the touristy things you can see!
On our boat ride out to Staten Island, we met a few other people whom we ended up hanging out with the rest of the day and night. The three of them live there, but originally are from all over. We had a great time with them though!


We also did a lot of shopping and of course, being two students of Public Health went out the the UN headquarters. I was really bummed because the tours were only going to one of the rooms (the rest were closed)...so we opted out of the tour...guess I'll have to go back! Or better yet, work there!! Funny thing, every person that walked by with a UN badge, Scarlett and I would sigh and express how envious we were/are! We spent a good two hours in the UN bookstore! haha Wow...nerdy! I loved it though!

Besides all the rest of the touristy things to do, we also went to Wicked, which is always great! I was so excited to see this on Broadway in NY, but I think I liked the LA cast better! We also ate the most incredible food!!! We made it a goal to eat different ethnic cuisines each night. So we thoroughly enjoyed food from South Africa (all I have to say about that is MALVA PUDDING!!!!), Turkey, Morocco, Italy, Cuba, and Romania (Jewish)...and I ate seafood! I know, I'm coming a long way!




Other than that, we just had a good time walking around enjoying ourselves. We would take a bus in from Jersey (minus the last two days that we stayed in Manhattan), which was ever so convenient! There was a bus stop across the street from our hotel, so it worked out perfect! However, Sundays the buses don't run as late, which we realized later on in the evening that Sunday we were there...so we jumped on the subway and got to the station as quickly as possibly just to find we had missed the last bus back to Jersey by 3 minutes!!! :( So we spent the next 3 hours riding trains and getting ripped off by taxi drivers trying to get back to South Orange!



I also got to see a few friends while we were there. We went to dinner in Brooklyn with my friend Mariah from high school that lives out there...and I also ran into Sara, whom I dance with, she was there visiting too! ha ha Overall we had a great time and Scarlett was so much fun to travel with!


5 comments:

Michael and Staci said...

Great pictures! I'm glad you had so much fun in New York! I have to agree that I really enjoyed visiting the "Big Apple." It's cool to see all of the things you normally see or hear about on TV. Fun stuff! :-)

Ken, Julia, Rue, & Atlas too! said...

I live vicariously through you and your traveling. How else would I visit the continents, countries, and cultures of the world? We should do a humanitarian aide trip with the three of us. I think it would be a blast and I would love to get out of the country any time.

caitlin said...

Yay, I'm glad you finally went! I was the same way about 5 years ago, everyone was like.. wait a sec, you have been out of the country but haven't been to NY?! So I finally went and have been back a couple times. Every time I go, I do something different. Love it!

caitlin said...

Oh and you're gorgeous!

Nate and Nicole said...

Strapless!? Ooh baby... I can only wish. :) No but really, love the dress. I think they are exactly what my bridesmaid dresses were but in brown.
You are gorgeous. Oh, and how the hell did you slip out of Emily's party last night without me noticing?
Casper.