Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

02 September 2010

Are You a Part of the Other 5%?

I hope I am part of the Other 5%!

I came across this article and LOVED it, so I want to share it with all of you. This seems to be something that continues to repeat itself in my life as of late. After having a variety of conversations with different friends, I realized how easy it is for each of us to get emotionally wrapped up in the lives of our friends and/or family, because we care about their well being. However, how often do we get wrapped up in a friend or family member's (or even a stranger) situation(s) in life, but we weren't invited to be involved? Should we be there, even if we have not been invited is the question I keep asking myself. I say no. If it isn't directly affecting me, I should learn to cut my curiosity and work at cutting the emotions out of it. It's hard to see people you care about suffer or make decision you don't agree with. However, like this article discusses, it is important not to focus on the peripherals, but to set your focus ahead. One of the best things my therapist could have taught me in a recent session, was about the three businesses: your business, their business, and God's business. My business is anything and everything that DIRECTLY relates to me; their business is anything that relates to other people, which sometimes, and maybe oftentimes, may appear to overlap into your business, but it doesn't, unless it directly affects you; she classified everything else - everything that we have no control over in life - as God's business. Then she told me the main focus is ALWAYS your business...it is the only thing we have control over and it only makes life that much harder when you start focusing on what everyone else is doing and/or saying. Don't be part of the 95% that is talked about in this article - those that are focused on what everyone else is doing. It's hard from time to time, but vital for our own happiness, in my opinion!
Are you a part of the other 5%?
by Matt Cheuvront on March 15, 2010
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” – Theodore Roosevelt
We’re living in a world today where 95% of the population is focused on what everyone else is doing and what everyone else thinks. 95% of the world looking side to side, following in the footsteps of those who have come before them. A vast majority of the world is saying “Why can’t I be doing that?” – instead of getting out there, and, you know, actually doing it.
Then there’s the other 5%. The Waldo's. The people of the world who don’t focus on the peripheral – but instead, set their sites toward what’s ahead – those choice few who boldly state "Warp Speed - Engage!" rather than wandering around in space. These are the movers and shakers – these are the people who are taking control of their own lives and making waves – standing out – real-life, bona-fide innovators.
Stop what you’re doing, right now, and ask yourself - “Do I belong to the 95% – or the other 5?”
To the 95% – your job is simple – figure out how to get out of the 95th percentile. Then go do it.
For the other 5% – if you’re not already sharing your story with the world – what are you waiting for? The only way you learned and the only way others can learn from you is by being willing to help – offering to share information instead of hoarding it all for yourself. If we all focused on pushing one another to be at our best, rather than honing in on how to bring everyone else down – we’d all be a hell of a lot better off.
We all need that 5% – We need those who exude enthusiasm, and devote themselves to worthy causes. Those who are willing to stumble and sacrifice to achieve greatness. Sometimes, you’ll fall in and out of your “place” in the grand scheme of things. Your roles can and will change from follower to leader (and that’s OK). Focus on being part of the cycle instead of becoming overly content with your situation.
Things to think about:
1) What’s one thing you are doing right now, today, that you are extremely proud of – Something that truly makes you stand out?
2) What’s one thing you want to be doing – you need to be doing – but for whatever reason, you’re not doing it? AND, once you’ve answered that – write out what it will take to get you to where you want to be.
A lot of us get caught up amongst that 95% - but every one of us has the full capacity to be part of the other 5%. What’s it ‘gonna be for you?

2 comments:

Mary said...

I'd like to think that I'm part of the 5%, but I know I have a long way to go to break out of the majority. Could you provide a link to that article? I'd like to read it.
Thanks, babe.

CK said...

1) Taking time for my extended family and reminiscing in the life of my Grandma (her funeral was today). Helping and supporting my sister and working with her every day on something we have fun doing (her blog). Supporting my husband. Emailing and talking with him as much as possible as he is deployed.
Spending time with my kids. Actually BEING there with them all day. Enjoying the little small things of life with them, at their sides. (I had a good day with my kids today)... and after writing all that I realize... wow, why do I ever short change my close family for things that are repulsive or addictive or so far removed from me but just so darn distracting in life?
That's interesting.
And
2) I don't know. This would take some more thought to answer and I don't really want to answer it here.
Thanks for the post Sherrie! Man, I miss you!!! I LOVE what you said about the 3 businesses. I think I am going to share that with everyone I know!
You are awesome.
You are awesome. You are awesome ;)

-CK

PS lets go back to Romania some time and hold children.