Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

25 November 2010

Giving Thanks

I don't remember where I pulled this from last year, but I believe it was in a CNN article posted around Thanksgiving time. I liked it and wanted to share. I realize that Thanksgiving is not actually about the food, however, I feel that this incorporates a common theme of gratitude for food, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving!

LATIN AMERICAN
To those who have hunger Give bread. And to those who have bread Give the hunger for justice.

BUDDHIST
This food is the gift of the whole universe. Each morsel is a sacrifice of life, May I be worthy to receive it. May the energy in this food Give me the strength To transform my unwholesome qualities Into wholesome ones. I am grateful for this food. May I realize the Path of Awakening, For the sake of all beings.

MUSLIM
All praises are due to Allah who gave us sufficient food to eat and who satiated our thirst while such food is needed by us all the time and while we are not ungrateful to Allah.

ASHANTI, GHANA
Earth, when I am about to die I lean upon you. Earth, while I am alive I depend upon you.

SELKIRK GRACE, SCOTTISH
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it. But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.

CHRISTIAN CHILDREN'S PRAYER
Thank you God for the world so sweet, Thank you God for the food we eat. Thank you God for the birds that sing, Thank you God for everything.

APOSTOLIC, ARMENIA
The eyes of all wait upon Thee, O Lord, And Thou givest them their food in due season. Thou openest Thy hand and fillest all things Living with plenteousness.

HINDU, INDIA
Before grasping this grain, let us consider in our minds the reasons why we should care for and safeguard this body. This is my prayer, oh God:
May I be forever devoted at your feet, offering body, mind, and wealth to the service of truth in the world.

COPTIC, EGYPT
Bless, O Lord, the plants, the vegetation, and the herbs of the field, that they may grow and increase to fullness
and bear much fruit. And may the fruit of the land remind us of the spiritual fruit we should bear.

MOTHER TERESA, CATHOLIC, CALCUTTA
Make us worthy, Lord, To serve those people Throughout the world who live and die In poverty and hunger. Give them, through our hands This day their daily bread, And by our understanding love, Give peace and joy.

SIOUX, NATIVE AMERICAN
I’m an Indian. I think about the common things like this pot. The bubbling water comes from the rain cloud. It represents the sky. The fire comes from the sun, Which warms us all, men, animals, trees. The meat stands for the four-legged creatures, Our animal brothers, Who gave themselves so that we should live. The steam is living breath. It was water, now it goes up to the sky, Becomes a cloud again. These things are sacred. Looking at that pot full of good soup, I am thinking how, in this simple manner, The Great Spirit takes care of me.

JEWISH
Praised are You, our God, Ruler of the universe, who in goodness, with grace, kindness, and mercy, feeds the entire world. He provides bread for all creatures, for His kindness is never-ending. And because of His magnificent greatness we have never wanted for food, nor will we ever want for food, to the end of time.
For His great name, because He is God who feeds and provides for all, and who does good to all by preparing food for all of His creatures whom He created: Praised are You, God, who feeds all.

We all have so much we have been blessed with and SO many reasons to be grateful on this Thanksgiving day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Sherrie!! Nice post!! and nice pics!!
take care!
Mauricio

Unknown said...

The fact is really good to read about the incorporates a common theme of gratitude for food also the information is brilliant.

__________________

Dissertation Introduction