Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

11 November 2010

Everyone should own a mac...

I have to give a quick shout-out to the Apple Store at the Gateway. I have never had such great customer service in my entire life. Seriously. I have been more than pleased with the service I have received from them, especially the past 3 or 4 months!

A few months ago, my computer screen was doing funky things. After about a week of this it totally crapped out. The computer was still working, cause you could hear my music, my emails coming in, but the entire screen died. I took it in, anticipating buying a whole new computer. I had heard it was very expensive to replace your screen, depending on what was wrong with it and my computer was not under warranty anymore. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I took it in and they replaced my screen, hard drive and about 3 other things on it, updated all my programs, and handed it back to me at no charge. What? Cool! They had had the screen problem with a lot of other computers of my same model, so they were fixing them at no cost.

Yesterday, I go in there to talk to them about my battery. I bought a replacement battery almost a year ago. For the past 4 months or so, it has been saying, "service battery". So I finally found time to take it into the store, before I take off to DC. The guy told me to hang on a few minutes, came back and said, "There is nothing I can do, since you bought it at the Apple Now store (up in Fort Union), which is not an actual Apple store. You will have to take it up to them." Great! I just had come from them! They sent me to the Gateway! I told him that and he told me to come back and see him specifically if they kept giving me the run around. I called Apple Now (I think that is what it is called) and they have a 30 day out-the-door warranty, but I could try calling the manufacture, if I wanted. I ran back to the Apple store on my way home from work, found this nice gentleman, that had kindly helped me before, who told me to give him a few minutes to talk to his manager about the situation. Earlier he had told me if things didn't work out, he'd try and get me 50% off a new battery, so I just assumed that is what he was working on. He came out a few minutes later, apologized for the inconvenience and told me they wanted to apologize on behalf of Apple Now....and he handed me a brand new battery for my laptop. This may not sound like a big deal, but do you realize that those suckers cost about $150! Brand new; free. I thanked him about 1,000 times, after I offered to pay for half of it and he wouldn't let me.

SO NICE! That's all. What great customer service. Seriously!

4 comments:

Allison Holt said...

I also LOVE the Apple Store... Replacing the screen is very expensive if you drop the dang thing... I would know! I'm glad things worked out in your favor... There is nothing like deal!

Becky said...

agreed, everyone should buy a mac! It was the best switch I ever made.

Drew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Drew said...

Haha... funny/odd story I have with Mac that I think you may understand. I bought a brand new MacBook Pro one month before my 6 month internship in Ecuador/PerĂº (~$2000) - but I broke it 1 month into my internship - I spilled juice all over it - it was DEAD. My options were limited on how to fix it - I took it to the 'local Mac store' (5 hours away in Quito, Ecuador) through connections and they told me at least $1500 to fix it - I said no way. Anyways - through random local contacts (aka, contacts who go to Utah State) I was able to send it - carried by hand - to my father in Logan, UT. He fixed everything and I am now using a brand new MacBook Pro (which I hope I don't break) with insurance - that was free. It came back to me - carried by hand - via my supervisor. Imagine what the value of this computer is here.. I think if I bought a brand new one on the streets here it would easily cost me $4000.... Mac is growing - make will be Facebook/Google big some day. AND yes - their customer service is awesome. Hard story to explain - but if you understand my position - you understand how lucky/grateful I am for buying a Mac. I didn't have my brand new laptop with me for at least 2 months - and it sucked.

I understand computers - I'm a nerd. Buy seriously - switching away from Windows to Mac was a really GOOD decision. The capabilities/potential - from my perspective - are HUGE. The potential is there - and they will keep growing.

I also have friends who work at the 'Apple Store at the Gateway'... And I'm an 'Economist' that's one of the reasons why I think the way I do...

Furthermore, I'm stoked to talk to you again - assuming we have a 'tea date' at 'Tea Grotto' in SLC. Also, I'm seriously considering Med School and I want to know your perspective on the 'global health problem'. It's a career I want to take. You're like the big sister I never had...

Anyways - it's 4:40am in the morning here and it's my last night in Ecuador - I have a week of travel/back-packing (1000 miles) ahead of me to get to Cusco, PerĂº. Tomorrow is moving day - and it has to go well - I need sleep.

Cheers.