Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

22 July 2011

I am giving myself a complex! These damn bugs - I am not sure if they are centipedes or silverfish, but whatever they are, they need to take their party somewhere besides my room! I am secretly hoping that the life of an insect is much like a cartoon movie, where they all communicate to each other and know who and what to watch out for. In that case, I expect the whole community that seems to be nesting in my room, to move out tonight (or if I am lucky, sooner!). I have literally killed 3 adult of these whatevers and 5 babies....just tonight! On top of that, I killed one about 5 days ago. AND there is still at least one more adult running around my room somewhere - he is hiding, but I am determined to kill him, too when he comes back out of hiding! This is NOT okay and now I feel like they are crawling all over me!


Between the bugs and the heat wave that is hitting the East Coast, I feel like I am back in Africa! The heat index, which is what it actually feels like outside and is calculated by combining the actual temperature and humidity, reached 113 today - in some areas of Virginia, 123! Tomorrow it is expected to be even worse...reaching 115 or higher. In fact, this is actually quite unusual - the heat index hasn't hit 110 in over 7 years and it's been more than 15 years since it reached 115. Talk about living in a sauna! I just want to stop sweating!!

4 comments:

Mary said...

GROSS. I don't do insects . . . that's one big reason why I don't really do camping, either. It's spider season at my house, though it hasn't been too bad yet. And thank heavens for the swamp cooler--I would die without it! Good luck, honey!

Michael and Staci said...

I HATE THESE BUGS! I call them the hundred leg bugs. I wish they would go away. I am seriously scared of them, but fortunately they are scared of us. The ones at our house are more of a tan color but other than that look the same. YUCK!!!

Michael and Staci said...

I was also going to say...I missed the heat wave but Michael was in Maryland for part of it and said it was awful. He flew to Utah on Friday, July 22nd (which was the day you posted this.) I will say hanging around dry heat for July was nice! :-)

Anonymous said...

This bug is how I found this page!! I have them too. Centipedes I think...They love moisture. Get a cat...it helps.