Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

11 December 2009

RoAd TrIpPiN' iT!

A few weeks ago, my cousin Paul and I set out on our long road trip across the country. Paul recently moved to DC, so I decided to drive out there with him and do some job networking while I was out there. We had such a great time, despite one speeding ticket, hitting a kitty-cat ("why kitty, why!?!"), and a few other minor incidences. We spent a day and a half in Kentucky, staying with my aunt and uncle (Paul's family), who I rarely get to see. That was a lot of fun.
We crossed through Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky...up through West Virginia, into Maryland and dropped into Arlington, Virginia, where Paul is now living. It was all an adventure. We were lucky to have good weather too! Wyoming, we were grateful not to have any troubles with (Paul has a history with WY), Nebraska - my infamous speeding ticket from the nicest cop I've ever met and listened to the Counting Crows' song, "Omaha" about 10 times as we approached Omaha. Missouri was exciting to me to see the grand arch in St Louis and cross the Mississippi River - I think I want to go back and make a visit to St Louis! As for Illinois - not much to see, it was dark and we barely hit the bottom part of the state. Kentucky was difficult for Paul to make his way to - he was driving at the moment, took one look at the sign that said "Louiville" and said, "We're going to Louiville so I should probably follow that sign, but the blue dot on my GPS (that didn't always update if we weren't in a 3G network zone) doesn't say to go that way." So what did he do? Sure didn't follow the sign like he should have! We had to turn around and go back to the sign...note to self, if you are going to Louiville, you should follow the sign to Louiville and not trust the little blue dot! After our short stay just outside of Louiville at Sterling and Carol's house, we took the back country roads through Kentucky, where yes, we listened to Bluegrass music (hello, why wouldn't you listen to bluegrass music, in bluegrass country!)...I couldn't believe how magical it was though!! The farm houses and open land - loved it!! We hit West Virginia and immediately turned on John Denver's "Country Roads". West Virginia, country mama is right! It was beautiful! The colors were magnificent - and that was even at the end of the autumn color changing! The rest the trip was history after that...we made our way into the DC area much quicker than we had anticipated!


We don't look bored at all, do we?!



Pop Rocks=ENTERTAINMENT!


I feel so at home in DC. I really, really miss it, ya know? It honestly soothed my soul!! I have to make my way back out there! I continue to job hunt in that area. I really miss my friends and the wonderful people I worked with at PAHO. Hopefully within the year, I'll be out there!!
I stayed for an additional four days in DC before flying home. I spent loads of time with friends and with Paul and helping him settle in. I was able to meet up with my PAHO peeps and do lunch a few times, as well as hit up the infamous Cafe Citron for some Latin dancing, which made me the happiest person! I can't get enough of everyone out there and DC in general!
I was also able to see Lisa and the few girls from 204 that are still living out there, which was a lot of fun. And above all...the food - I ate lots and lots of yummy food! Of course. It's the best part about DC! Went and got some Lebanese with my old roommate, Mary and spent one night at her place. And the other given, spent some time at my favorite Smithsonian museum - the Natural History Museum. Good times!!




Yes, those are my feet - gross, I know! My feet hurt from dancing in stilettos all night!

1 comment:

Mary said...

How fun! I love St. Louis--it's a very cool city. I was only there for a few days, but I really liked it. I'd love to spend some quality time in Chicago at some point, and I'd love to go back to D.C. *sigh* I wish I could travel more! If you get a job in D.C., I'm SOOOO coming to visit!