Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

12 March 2009

American Dishes?

Okay, so I am posing two questions here and NEED feedback!

1- What is typical American food!?! I can't answer this. I dont' know what would be considered a typical American dish, because you think about majority of our food and it's from somewhere else!

2- Those from Utah, or I suppose that know Utah, what would be a typical dish from Utah?! And DON'T say jello please! Cause let's be honest, jello in all forms (except Mom's Christmas jello) is generally not the best thing in the world!

I am the only American in the Emergency Operations Center at work and they have asked me this second question a few times. I guess the unit has a party every spring where we bring cuisine from our hometown. I couldn't think of anything but casseroles and jello :(
As for the other question, traveling a lot, you get asked this question. I can never answer it. The only thing I think of is Hamburgers and Hot Dogs - your typical BBQ. However, I don't generally eat beef or pork so I would love to think of another American dish!

5 comments:

Caitlin Selle said...

I think things that the Native American people ate would be considered American food. Like sweet potatoes, corn, etc.. I also think that's where we got hamburgers and hotdogs and stuff. They would hunt. Anyway, hope that helps :) (I miss you girl!)

Oh and for the Utah food.. I looked it up and our traditional state foods are honey, scones, and jello. Ha, ha

Ellen Irion said...

i don't have anything technical to back this up, but I've never known anyone from outside of utah that knew what hawaiian haystacks were. But they always like them!

Nate and Nicole said...

First off, I love that you just left me a bazillion comments on my blog. I absolutely loved it.
Next, an American dish would be the Hamburger. That's about as American as you can get.
As far as Utah, I would say the cheesy potato casserole. It's a Utah staple.

Katie said...

apparently, fluffy pancakes are American. I didn't know that til I moved. Everywhere in Europe, "pancakes" are more like big crepes.

I also agree with Nic about the cheesy potato casserole for Utah. Haven't seen that around anywhere else. Also, root beer is a Utah staple you can't generally get elsewhere. And fry sauce!

Kerstin said...

i like ur hair shorter and darker! sooo cute...ps yep i check out ur blog now and then :)