Pages

How does an ant eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Big problems are composed of smaller, albeit interconnected, problems. Solving the smaller problems will have an implication on the larger problems.

08 March 2009

The POWER of WOMEN

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY!!!
(Sorry there are a lot of pictures in this one...but please read too :) The pictures are of some of the important women in my life!!)



Today is International Women's Day. It may not be a day you have heard of before. I know I hadn't ever heard of it until I spent a semester in Romania and overheard some friends talking about it. Since then, I haven't heard much about it, until being out here in D.C. I have been able to participate in all sorts of events that have marked Women's Day this year.







This is a day to remind the world of the importance of women and the power women have on other people's lives. I'm grateful for all the women in my life that are such amazing people and have made a lasting impact on who I am. I'm grateful to know that I always have other women to laugh and cry with, to lean on when I need strength, and that will always be a part of my life. This day is for all these women in my life! I love you all :)






On Thursday I was able to attend a documentary (which I posted the trailer for on my last post) and live panel, with Natali Portman, some of the big-to-do people from CARE, etc. I felt so empowered after watching this; so strong, being a woman in my position - a position where I can make a difference in one way or another, whether it be small or large. I felt humbled. I am so blessed to be where I am and to have had the situations and circumstances that have formed who I am. After listening to the empowering words in this documentary, how could I not be more than grateful for my parents. I have been blessed with wonderful parents that encourage me and set amazing examples of how to be a better person. I'm grateful that they have supported everything I do, but especially my schooling and career path I am trying to make for myself.






Tonight, I was able to attend a conference held by an NGO, Friends of the Congo, that does work in the D.R. Congo. They brought in an OBGYN and a lawyer that work with a clinic there, which takes in women and girls that have been affected by the war; mostly victims of rape. They are funded by a group from Switzerland, which allows for these women and girls to have free surgeries (if needed), food, shelter and free psychological counseling for an extended period of time. The clinic has become a bit like a refugee camp, because afterward these women generally have no where to go. Stories were shared and a documentary played, which depicted the stories of these victims. I have to say, it was SO graphic, I almost couldn't watch.

It terrifies me to think that such awful things can go on in this world, but even more that they seem to be kept such a secret. It saddens me to see pictures of this beautiful country and people, caught in the middle of a corrupt government's ploy to make $millions$ over valuable natural resources. Money truly is the root of all evil!

It's even more shameful to know how many U.S. and European countries buy stuff from these people, in order to make our computers, cell phones, televisions, etc, and we as consumers have NO idea that we are feeding the fire! Very similar concept to the blood diamonds or the chocolate industry, which is heavily associated with human trafficking and child labor.

I don't know aware any of you are about the D.R. Congo, but here are a few facts I pulled from my friend Christyn's blog and from Friends of the Congo's website, and like Christyn put it, these facts are not for those weak of heart.

-this is a war being fought right now taking the lives of more people save WWII; more than 6 million people (and counting) have died in this war

- this is not a traditional war; not only are men fighting against men, but they are using sexual terrorism as a weapon

-some 500,000 women have been brutally raped and battered beyond recognition

-these women are not only raped but it is done in front of entire communities, their family and when they are done they practically rip their organs from inside of them, yet the psychological damage is more frightening than the physical

-some of these women end up with fistulas which cause them to constantly leak urine and makes them outcasts of any village, form of transportation, social event or school

-these are women of ALL ages - the doctor that spoke tonight said that is what hits the worst, emotionally, with his work; he thinks of his daughter and wife, mother, and grandmother - how so often all generations in families are affected at the same time from this awful weapon of war

-the D.R. Congo is important because it is bordered by 9 other countries and is centrally located in Africa, and also because of the abundance of natural resources, which is sadly, where all the corruption comes into play. It also has enough hydropower to provide electricity for the entire African continent.

-because of the country's rich wealth of resources - the largest reserves of untapped minerals in the world (including 10% of the world's fresh water...and yet Africa is in severe lack of water!! Wonder what good would come to Africa if the DR Congo's conflicts would ever come to an end), accompanied by millions of people there (population around 60 million) that make less than $100/year, it is only obvious why there is such a fight over the resources (ivory, rubber...and more importantly: coltan, tin, diamonds, gold and copper)

FYI - I just read that the wealth in this nation's soil is estimated as high as $24 TRILLION!! WOW!!




2 comments:

Nate and Nicole said...

Yay I made it to the list!! The picture second form the bottom doesn't even look like you!. You are sooo blonde! Holy crap.

Ken, Julia, Rue, & Atlas too! said...

Yay!! I'm in a picture... It's a funeral picture, but I'm in a picture!!